Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sunday Run

Sunday was our long run day. It's been a while since we did a really long run, so I opted to do a 6.5 miler to work our way back up again. My foot was feeling pretty good and the weather was great. Yesterday I didn't workout. Just rested my legs and tonight if all goes well, I'll be doing some yoga with my sister-in-law. I love yoga, but unfortunately, I don't get to go often. I'll be trying this new place and so the first class is free! My son has t-ball practice though, so it all depends on getting a sitter for my two girls.

Yoga is great for runners and it helps prevent injuries. Some feel that yoga is not enough of a workout for them, once they get into more high impact exercises. However, the two really go well together because, part of getting the most out of your runs, is stretching after. I really can't say enough about stretching and how important it is. After a workout you should spend about 30 seconds on each stretch you do, and it's important to breathe through your moves. We tend to hold our breath, but we need that oxygen to get to our muscles. What happens when you workout is we contract and shorten the muscle you are exercising. But, we can't leave it like that, we need to lengthen it back out. So spending some time to cool down and release the tension will pay off in the end. I think today's challenge for everyone is to look up at least one yoga move and give it a try! You may be inclined to do one more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment