Monday, May 9, 2011

Staying Motivated-Sign up for a 5k

The hardest part about working out is motivation. And I think that is the case for most people. And of course the busier and more commitments we have, the less time we make for our physical health. We all know it's important and yet, we tend to make excuses. "I'm too tired." ..."I'll start tomorrow." Does this sound familiar? Tomorrow comes, passes and we still haven't made the time to workout. I know I've at times lost motivation. There are a couple tips to keep the fire going though.

One thing that keeps me going is setting goals. It's something I recommend to newbies especially because when you are just starting out from a sedentary lifestyle, there has to be some sort of accountability. Once on a routine, it's not so hard. A goal could be a short term or long term "Where I want to be" in 2 months, 6 months, or even a year. It's good to start short term though to reap the rewards and keep that positive spirit going. Something I usually suggest is to sign up for a 5k. Usually when a person pays for something, they are more likely to put forth the effort for great results. What then happens is then after the goal is completed, you feel good about yourself and will usually want to do another one!

Another way to keep focused on your goals is to do it with someone. Whether it be a personal trainer or a good friend, having someone to keep you accountable is valuable. You will be more than likely to make that workout happen, then to back out; and in the end, you will be happy you didn't. And, if you think you may try to back out, tell your workout partner ahead of time to help you out by not letting you "off the hook" :)

I hope you found this helpful, or maybe even motivating! Have a wonderful week and keep moving!

1 comment:

  1. I compltely agree..I signed up for a 4 mile race and I've worked out almost everyday (minus my rest days) since I did. It has defintely movitvated me to sign up for a race.

    ReplyDelete